Software Patent Reading Room
Overviews || Recent News || Analysis and Commentary || Advanced Resources || US and General Patent Law || Steps to Take || Statements about Software Patents || Other Organizations
- Software Patent Overview
By IP Justice
The official IP Justice guide to software patents in Europe and the US.
- White Paper from Computer & Communications Industry Association (CCIA):Â â€œPatent Policy for a Digital Economyâ€ (November 2006)Â 2-page Executive Summary
- Software Patent Directive as Passed 24 September 2003
This is the text of the software patent directive as it was ammended on 24 September 2003.
- Original Draft EU Legislation, “Software Patent Directive”
The full text of the proposed EU software patent legislation. As described in the overview page, this is the current text that will be voted upon. The legislation will officially allow the European Patent Office to issue software patents, and require the patent office of EU member nations to issue software patents. The core of the draft is Article 4 (Amendment 16).
- FSFE Software Patent Overview
By Free Software Foundation of Europe
Good overview of the background and current status of software patents in Europe.
- “Saving Seeds Subjects Farmers to Suits Over Patent”
The New York Times (30 October 2003)
Covers a recent court case involving the rights of farmers to save seeds for next year’s plantings versus Monsanto’s patent on the seeds..
- “Europe offers limits on patents”
International Herald Tribune (25 September 2003)
Coverage of the results of the EU vote and its implications.
- “Controversial software patent directive clears Parliament”
EurActiv (25 September 2003)
Coverage of the next steps that will need to occur for this policy to become law.
- “EU Software Patent Opponents Turn Up Lobbying”
IT World (11 September 2003)
Describes the lobbying efforts of many groups in preparation for the next round of debate. The movement has grown out of the software community and has now captured mainstream attention.
- “A Clicking Bomb”
The Economist (4 September 2003)
Describes the debate over software patents and cites the Business Software Alliance as a major winner if software patents are allowed in Europe.
- “Patent Riots of 2003”
PC Magazine ( 2 September 2003 )
Opinion piece describing the growing protest against software patents and describing the many problems with software patents.
- “European Patent Law Draws Fire”
Wired News ( 1 September 2003 )
Provides a brief introduction to the issue and describes the protests that led the European Parliament to delay the vote scheduled for early September.
- “Protests Delay Software Patent Vote”
CNET News.com ( 1 September 2003 )
Describes the political parties and MEPs involved in the issue and gives a background to the political process.
- “Economists reject European software patent proposals”
ZDNET.co.uk ( 27 August 2003 )
Coverage of the group of economists who wrote a harsh critique of the patent proposal.
- “Rally against European software patent plans”